When someone is killed in a motor vehicle accident, the world can come crashing around that victim’s family. In addition to the loss of companionship, the family loses out on earnings and spends large sums of money on hospital bills, which can eventually lead to significant financial challenges for many families.
CDC study findings about traffic fatalities in New Jersey
According to a study that was conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 580 people in Jew Jersey people lost their lives in auto accidents in the year 2018. Per estimates, this led to a total loss of $798 million. Of this, $789 million was the loss of earnings and $9 million was medical expenses.
If one looks deeper into the data, one finds that the age-wise cost of traffic fatalities in New Jersey are as follows:
- Older adults (65+): 5% of deaths; total cost of $37 million
- Adults (35–64): 42% of deaths; total cost of $323 million
- Young adults (20–34): 43% of deaths; total cost of $329 million
- Teenagers (15–19): 7% of total deaths; total cost of $51 million
- Children (0–14): 5% of total deaths; total cost of $19 million
Similarly, if one looks at the data by the type of road user that the victim was, one will find that:
- 59% were car users and they accounted for $469 million of total costs.
- 12% were motorcycle users and they accounted for $97 million of total costs.
- 26% were pedestrians and they accounted for $204 million of total costs.
- 3% were bicyclists and they accounted for $25 million of total costs.
The study also goes on to suggest methods of how many of these auto accident fatalities are preventable and what states can do to reduce the financial void that is created due to the loss of lives in motor vehicle accidents.
Compensation for auto accident injuries
As can be seen, the cost of motor vehicle accidents, for both medical treatment and loss of wages, is very high. Therefore, in the event of an accident, irrespective of whether its fatal or not, victims and families need to keep in mind that obtaining an adequate compensation from the negligent party can prove to be immensely helpful in the long run.
However, pursuing a personal injury or wrongful death claim can often be overwhelming for victims and their families. Therefore, it may be a wise decision on their part to seek professional guidance from an experienced attorney.