Tried And True Attorneys Standing Up For The Injured Since 1965

Photo of Craig R. Fishman
Photo of Craig R. Fishman

Tried And True Attorneys Standing Up For The Injured Since 1965

Recovering from car accident injuries

On Behalf of | Oct 1, 2020 | Car Accidents |

Some 7,000 people are injured every day in car accidents, and the injuries can vary widely in their severity. If you were hurt in New Jersey, you may be able to relate to some of the information given below.

Recovering from head trauma

Traumatic brain injuries are among the most common accident injuries, and their symptoms are not always immediately apparent. You may be able to treat the headaches, neck pain and other symptoms with rest and pain medications, but more serious issues, such as bleeding under the skull, will require surgery.

Neck and back injuries

Crashes, in particular rear-end collisions, can cause the neck to snap back and forth violently, straining or tearing the muscles and ligaments there. This condition, called whiplash, can cause problems for several weeks yet be managed by pain relievers. Surgery will be necessary, though, if the impact dislocated some of the neck vertebrae.

Back injuries can be even more serious. One may experience a loss of physical functions because of a spinal injury, and if one does not regain these functions within a year, the damage is permanent.

Injured through the seatbelt

Victims may bleed internally when their bodyweight presses against the lap belt. If the bleeding is minor, the doctor may monitor victims to see if it stops on its own. Shoulder belts can also harm the collarbone and ribs.

Seeking compensation for injuries

Those injured in car accidents can seek compensatory damages through a third-party insurance claim if their damages exceed what their insurance company can cover and if they are not at fault. To see what your chances are of filing a successful claim, you may consult with a lawyer. The lawyer may even help by gathering evidence and negotiating for a settlement. If all else fails, you may consider taking the case to court.