Menu Contact
${site.data.firmName}${SEMFirmNameAlt}
Toll Free: 888-339-7675
Schedule A Free Consultation
Don’t Get Hurt Twice,
Choose the Right Attorney

CVSA schedules International Roadcheck for June

The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance is responsible for conducting a three-day inspection spree every year called the International Roadcheck. It covers North America and applies to all commercial truck and bus drivers. Those in New Jersey to whom this inspection applies should know that the 2018 International Roadcheck will take place from June 5 to June 7.

The CVSA is putting a strong emphasis this year on hours-of-service compliance, the reason being that hours-of-service violations entered the spotlight with the implementation of the electronic logging device mandate back in December 2017. The U.S. DoT begins the period of hard enforcement in April.

ELDs eliminate the need for paper logs and, at the same time, prevent the falsification of hours-of-service data. Inspectors will thus be able to detect these violations more easily. This year, they will be conducting Level I inspections, which are considered the most thorough as they cover both vehicle- and driver-related violations.

Hours-of-service violations were, together with brake-related violations, the top reason for out-of-service orders in the 2017 International Roadcheck. Out of the 63,000 inspections conducted last year, an average of 15 every minute, 15,000 ended with the inspector issuing an out-of-service order. Approximately 80 percent were due to vehicle-related violations and the other 20 percent to driver-related violations.

By going over the daily hours-of-service limit, truckers may meet their deadlines, but they endanger others in the process. When overwork and lack of sleep lead to a crash, victims may be eligible to file a claim against the trucker for compensatory damages. It's advisable to hire a truck accident attorney when building up the case as an attorney might hire investigators to gather proof of the trucker's negligence. The attorney may also be able to clear the victim from any accusation of contributory negligence. If negotiations go well, the victim may be reimbursed for vehicle repair costs, medical bills and more.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Start With A Free Case Evaluation

Tell us about your case and one of our professionals will get back to you with a 100% free consultation.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

Lawnside Office
327 S. White Horse Pike
P.O. Box 629
Lawnside, NJ 08045

Toll Free: 888-339-7675
Lawnside Law Office Map

Lawnside Office

Hammonton Office
245 S. White Horse Pike
Hammonton, NJ 08037

Toll Free: 888-339-7675
Hammonton Law Office Map

Hammonton Office